Indulge in creamy perfection with our skillet spinach dip recipe! Sautéed spinach, gooey cheese, and savory spices come together for a dip like no other.
Spinach dip is my absolute favorite appetizer to make for all kinds of occasions, because it is always such a crowd pleaser! Incredibly easy to make, delicious, and bursting with flavor, this creamy dip is the perfect take-along the next time that you go camping.
We have made countless variations of this classic recipe over the years. This cheesy campfire version, a four-ingredient baked spinach dip, and baked spinach artichoke dip are some of our favorites. There really isn’t a version that our family doesn’t love!
Too busy to make this right away? Pin it for later! Pin this post to your favorite board on Pinterest and it will be there when you’re ready!
The best part about each of these recipes is that they use simple ingredients and take just a couple of minutes of prep work. It doesn’t get much better than that!
Today’s easy hot spinach dip recipe is ideal for sharing. You can easily host a few friends at your campsite or have an outdoor gathering.
Skillet Spinach Dip
We also love making it for a quiet movie night at home. But you don’t have to share! Just scale back the ingredients and enjoy a personal skillet spinach dip all to yourself.
This post contains affiliate links.
- Pillsbury pizza dough – any kind of bread dough will work.
- Store-bought spinach dip – or a combination of cream cheese, sour cream and frozen spinach. We like to use pre made dip only because it makes packing and preparing this recipe while camping super easy.
- Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Butter, melted
1. Open the dough and roll it into 16 equal-sized balls.
2. Place the dough balls around the edge of a cast-iron skillet or other oven-safe container.
3. Mix half of the cheese into the spinach dip.
4. Spoon the dip mixture into the center of the skillet.
5. Top with remaining cheese.
6. Brush the dough balls with melted butter.
7. Bake at 350 F for 25-30 mins, until the pizza dough is golden brown and the cheese melts and is bubbly.
We have cooked this on the bbq grill and over the campfire too! Just wrap aluminum foil over the top of the skillet to create a packet. Cook time remains the same, just watch that the fire doesn’t get too hot and burn the bottom.
- Try adding different types of cheese, like Parmesan cheese, feta, or Monterey jack cheese.
- If you like your dip spicy, throw in red pepper flakes, hot sauce, or chili powder.
- Add in garlic powder, onion powder, or a few cloves of fresh garlic for stronger flavors.
- Chop up some water chestnuts, artichoke hearts, or red peppers to mix into the dip.
- Instead of pizza dough, try using crescent roll dough or frozen bread rolls.
- Use your own homemade spinach dip instead of using store-bought.
- Fresh spinach can be substituted for frozen, but you may want to wilt it down and chop it up first.
- Use Greek yogurt, fat free plain yogurt, or low fat mayonnaise in place of full fat mayo.
Tips and Tricks
- If you are using a baking dish instead of a skillet, be sure to prep it with cooking spray before starting. This is the best way to ensure nothing sticks.
- Warm spinach dip is delicious served with pita chips, tortilla chips, pita bread, or sourdough bread.
- Store any leftover dip in the fridge, in an airtight container or covered snugly with plastic wrap. It should last 3 days.
Q: I don’t have a cast iron skillet. Can I still make this recipe?
A: For sure! A baking dish or regular skillet works too.
If you love this skillet spinach dip recipe, please give it a five star review and help us share it on Facebook or Pinterest!
- 1 container Pillsbury pizza dough
- 2 cups store-bought spinach dip
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- Open the dough and roll it into 16 equal-sized balls.
- Place the dough balls around the edge of a cast-iron skillet or other oven-safe container.
- Mix half of the cheese into the spinach dip.
- Spoon the dip mixture into the center of the skillet.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Brush the dough balls with melted butter.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 F for 25-30 mins, until the pizza dough is golden brown and the cheese melts and is bubbly.