This is the best Pie Iron Breakfast Bake recipe ever… incredibly easy, delicious, and bursting with cheesy flavour the whole family loves!
You have to add this to your next camping trip, with only three ingredients its super easy to grill over the campfire.
Too busy to make this right away?! Pin it for later! Pin this recipe to your favorite camping board on Pinterest and it’ll be waiting for you when you’re ready.
- Tatertot hashbrowns
- Shredded cheese
HOW TO MAKE THIS PIE IRON BREAKFAST BAKE:
- Oil the inside of the pie iron with butter or olive oil. This isn’t needed if your pie iron is well seasoned and non-stick.
2. Layer tatertots, an egg and top with shredded cheese.
3. Close the pie iron and bake over the coals of a campfire for 10 minutes, flipping half way through.
The tatertots make the perfect potato base for this dish and we often add bacon or ham. You can use a variety of cheese too of course, the kids love processed Kraft cheese slices the best.
This post contains affiliate links.
Camping essentials for pie iron recipes:
- We like these square Rome pie irons the best.
- These double pie irons are great when cooking for a crowd.
- This cast iron scrubber set is perfect for safely cleaning your iron.
- These parchment paper sheets are helpful when you don’t want things to stick to your iron.
Tips for cooking with a pie iron:
- When cooking with a pie iron, begin by applying non stick cooking spray or oil to the inside of both iron plates. This step is important so that your delicious meal doesn’t stick to the iron and burn.
- Place your recipe ingredients into the iron before closing and latching it.
- Cook the recipe over an open fire. We recommend placing the iron over the fire for two minutes before unlatching, checking for doneness and flipping the iron over to cook the other side.
- Use caution when handling both the metal latch and handles as they can become hot while cooking.
Be sure to check out this 20+ Pie Iron Recipes post for tons of pie iron ideas!!
If you love this pie iron breakfast bake, please give it a five star review and help me share it on Facebook and Pinterest!
This recipe was originally shared on Homemade Heather.